Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Navigating the 21st Century waters in a 20th Century vessel.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Old Friends Are Worth Their Weight in Inkjet Cartridges

Spent an hour or so on the phone with Bridget last night. Now, I've known Bridget most of my life - ever since I was in 11th grade, and she was in 8th. Back then, she was a friend of my sister's, but the two of us got along well. One summer things some chemistry changed, and she became the first girl I kissed (more than once), the first girl I fell in love with, the first pretty much everything. It eventually came to an end, and that was painful for a while, but after time I realized things had run their course and she was right to break it off. But we kept in touch, off and on, over the years. And we're both very different people now then we were then, but that's okay. We still care about each other, and find each other interesting, and can be relaxed with each other.

So like I sad, we talked for about an hour. About my marriage, my daughter, my plans. About how I felt like Brett and I used two completely different sets of logic. How I was feeling scared and excited and sad and relieved all at the same time. How I've tried for so long to just be a decent guy, who wants everyone's needs to be met. And it felt good to just let go and say what I felt and not feel a need to remain unbiased and impartial and uncritical. I find it very hard to be that way with my friends; the instinct to stay above the fray, even if it means holding back on what I feel. I'm working on that, and with people I've met through blogging, who don't know Brett, it's easier. But with Bridget, it was really easy. Maybe because we'd been so close before I'd gotten to know Brett.

So thanks Bridget. It helped a lot.

Oh, and one more thing. She totally gets how strong on-line friendships can be, and how important they can be. So stick that in yer ear, Miss "you don't have many real friends" Wife-o-mine.

No comments: