Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Navigating the 21st Century waters in a 20th Century vessel.

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Doing All Right

Couple of folks have checked in, just to see how I'm doing these days, and it's much appreciated. Fortunately, the answer is I'm doing a lot better than I thought I would. For so long, I think fear has been what's kept me with Brett. Fear of being alone. Fear of traumatizing Taylor. Fear of the unknown. But now that I've moved out on my own, it turns to be okay. The many friends I've made through Need More Rage this past year have really helped a lot - it's easier to not feel alone when you know you have people you can talk to. And Taylor appears to be adjusting okay, at least so far. I'm sure there'll be times when it hits her hard, but I now think we'll be able to handle those when they happen.

One of the things I did to make it easier for me to take this leap was to tell myself (and Brett) that there was a good chance it wouldn't be permanent. That I would still be looking for ways to bring us back together, once the raw nerves and tensions had had some time to recover. But now, roughly two weeks after moving out, I really can't imagine ever going back. I was so unhappy in that environment, and now, while I won't go so far as to say I'm happy, I'm certainly less unhappy than I've been in years.

And Buffy the puppy? She's doing fine too - surgery on her knee went well, and now instead of a splint immobilizing her leg, she just has a pin inside it. The challenging part is that we need to keep her from running or jumping for the next four weeks. That ain't gonna be easy - she likes her funs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kids are remarkably resilient, I don't care what the "experts" say.When my hubby up and joined the army out of the blue, they adjusted, when we moved to Alaska they adjusted, when I had to tell them after a years deployment, that it was going to be another 4 months til he came home, they said "ok, can we go to the park".
As long as mom n dad are civil,honest, and supportive, she'll do fine. And I think you are:)

Stephi said...

Glad the pup's ok and that you're gaining some sanity back.

Wait... will this mean your writing is impaired? (Has been reading way to many lit books about good writers who were also psycho)

<3

Bell said...

/hug Ratter
/pin puppy
/make nachos

It seemed a logical progression.

Ratshag said...

@Jess - Actually, the experts I've talked to or read pretty much agree with you :)

@Stephi - No worries, hun. I was crazy long before any of this started, and I always will be.

@Bell - Mmmmmmmm nachos