Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Navigating the 21st Century waters in a 20th Century vessel.

Thursday, October 02, 2008

I Wants A Strawberry Milkshake

Used to be in the movies, the way they let you know two people had just had sex was to show them lying in bed, with the Amazing Bifurcated Bedsheet that covered her up to the armpits but him only up to the waist, enjoying cigarettes. Not being a smoker, I've never felt any desire to light up after a romp in the sack. I often get a craving for something else quite sinful, though much tastier - a strawberry milkshake. Don't ask me why, I just do. Earlier in my marriage, that was something we'd joke about sometimes - "wanna earn a strawberry milkshake tonight?" Of course, unlike cigarettes, you can't keep milkshakes on the bedside table and McDonalds won't deliver them, so most of the time I would just do without.

Fast forward to two nights ago. I took Brett and Taylor out to dinner, and we spent part of that discussing dating as part of our project have The Talk with the kid. We covered things like dating is fun, dating is normal, dating is a progression and everybody moves at their own pace. I think we successfully cleared up a misconception that guys always to turn into drunken louts by the fourth date - no idea where that came from - but that if something like that should happen she can always call either of us to come get her. I think it went okay. Then I took them home and Brett invited me in for a few minutes. This ended up turning into the two of us cuddling on the sofa watching tv. And after Taylor went to be, things got a lot more intimate.

It was romantic and passionate and really, really wonderful. And after, we lay there holding each other for maybe an hour. But eventually it was time for me to leave, and that was hard on both of us. Brett said she couldn't bear to see me go, and left the room while I was getting dressed. I was really tempted to spend the night, to pretend a little longer that everything was all right between us. But I moved out for real reasons, reasons which are just as valid as they were two months ago, and it just seemed like a bad idea. So I went back to my apartment, walked the dog, and went to bed.

No comments: