Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Navigating the 21st Century waters in a 20th Century vessel.

Friday, December 24, 2004

Christmas

Christmas is a weird time. We've got the whole religious "Our Savior is Born" message from one side and the capitalist "Spend! Spend! Spend!" message from the other. As a frugal atheist, I often find myself wishing the whole thing would go away. There are elements of it I like: some of the music, pumpkin pie, getting a day off from work. I really like wrapping presents - I guess it appeals to my inner artist. Sometimes I even like opening them.

What I don't like is the pressure I feel when it comes to giving. The religious and capitalist messages combine to say "You should give more than you receive" and there are a lot of people in my life who go overboard when it comes to giving presents. Since I don't, I end up getting more presents with bigger price tags than I give. Which leads to guilt. Which I resent. I'd rather drop the whole give presents on this one day routine, and just give what I want when I want. That way there'd be no temptation to keep score on presents.

No comments: