Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Navigating the 21st Century waters in a 20th Century vessel.

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Dead Dead Dead

The bigger of our two linux clusters went down last week. The problem appears to be a bad CPU on the control workstation. Turns out that for IBM both the Friday before Jan 1 and the Monday after were both holidays, so the earliest they could get a technician out here was today, five days after it went down. Meanwhile, no jobs running. Very expensive for us.

We, of course, did not get either Friday or Monday off.

Maybe I should go work for IBM.

The good news is that my new workstation stepped up to the plate. Running both CPUs, I can get nearly the same performance as I was getting with 4 CPUs on the cluster. I won't even mention how much faster it is than the old unix box...

No comments: