Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Navigating the 21st Century waters in a 20th Century vessel.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Energizer Bunny Ain't Got Nuthin' On Me!

In 1984, I bought an HP 11C calculator. Once I got used to the reverse-polish notation, I liked it.

I took it to calculator speed competitions. I took it to college. I took it to my first job. I took it to grad school. There, another student told me it belonged in a museum. That was 13 years ago. It's got some grime between the keys now, and the little rubber feet on the back are gone. Last year I had to replace the batteries. But it's still going.

To put this in perspective, in 1984 the Energizer Bunny didn't even exist yet! They hadn't introduced his predecessor Jacko, some big Australian dude holding a giant battery over his head shouting "Oi!", yet. They hadn't signed his predecessor, Mary Lou Retton, yet.

It keeps going and going and going....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A couple years ago I bought a 25th-Anniv. edition 12C. Never needed the functions of the 11C, but I did use the TI Business calculators (they had all the financial and stats functions).

No one, but no one, made (makes) calculators like HP, though.

I remember the very first 4-function red LED HPs from my senior year in college--they ran around $400-500; just slightly more than the solid aluminum Pickett sliderules they replaced.