Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Navigating the 21st Century waters in a 20th Century vessel.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

It's Not Right

Julie and I both feel we've been waiting our whole lives to find each other. All the bad marriages, bad relationships, missteps, miscues, have taught us so much about who we are, and about what we want. Had we met twenty years ago, neither of us would have been the least attracted to each other. But now we know that we belong together, that we can be happy together. And everything is going to be as it should, finally.
This morning, Julie found out she has breast cancer. We don't know yet how bad it is, what the prognosis will be. But even best case, it won't be good. Physical pain and misery, financial stress, worry. And it very well may not be best case. The thought that I could lose the woman I belong with, now that I've finally found her, is terrifying. But I know Julie needs me to be strong for her, to help her, to be with her, because as bad as is this for me, it's much worse for her. I don't know how I'm going to do this, I just know I have to.
This just isn't right.

Update: Talked to a good friend whose mom is currently undergoing treatment for breast cancer. It helped a lot. I feel a lot less panicky now. No matter what, I am so, so glad Julie won't have to be alone.

5 comments:

Steve said...

Keeping you both in my thoughts, pal. Life is a bitch, and the only way to get the upper hand is to embrace what you have. Sometimes, happiness involves great risk. But if the rewards are worth it, then damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Godspeed to both of you.

Phil said...

Oh man, that is some rough news. I'll keep you and Julie in my thoughts as well.

Softi said...

Oh hon, I'm so sorry to hear this.

I hope that it's been caught early.
xxx

Angela said...

There are really no appropriate words at such a moment. Both you and Julie are in my thoughts, and I am glad to hear that she has someone like you there to support her through this time.

Best wishes, and please keep in mind that some truly miraculous things can happen (you two have already experienced that with each other!)

Bell said...

<3 stay strong Ratters

I'm here for whatever you and Julie need.